How to get rid of mold using natural organic home remedies
Discovering mold in and around a window sill is much more of a regular occurrence than most may believe. It’s not so much a sign of uncleanliness but rather caused by excess moisture, that is unless you’re leaving old food and drinks sitting on the window sill which is unlikely in most cases.
So don’t go running for the hills if you spot the black speckled signs of mold on a friend’s window, it just means their windows are experiencing a natural occurrence between condensation and organic material meeting. Since the possibility of mold is sometimes inevitable due to climate and other factors, it would be beneficial for homeowners to learn more about what causes mold to occur in window frames so that they can better mitigate the situation before it progresses.
How to Get Rid of Window Mold Using Natural Remedies
Mold growth can appear as black speckles on the window pane and around the frame of the window. This occurs when the warm indoor air and the cold outdoor air meet at the window and form condensation. While little droplets of water are rarely ever harmful, when it is unable to evaporate and is trapped between the window frame, it invites mold to join the party. Here’s the kicker, mold can’t actually grow on glass or for a more broader term, on an inorganic surface such as glass and other surfaces. Mold will grow on even the smallest, most microscopic organic material that is sitting on the surface of the window and window frame. This means, dust and other materials like pet dander and dead skin cells. These particles can be transferred through the air, get trapped and stuck in and around the window area. When condensation decides it’s time for a visit and brings their dear friend mold with them.
Now that we’ve covered the somewhat science side of things, we can observe more closely on the dangers of mold. Many health problems can arise when mold is prevalent in the home, most of which people suffer from and won’t even immediately realize that it’s due to mold. Some of the health implications around mold exposure can range from allergy like symptoms such as, runny nose, rashes, and increased respiratory problems for people with asthma. Other symptoms also include headaches, nausea, and fatigue. Knowing this, it’s safe to say you should kill and destroy mold at first sight!
3 Best Non-toxic Methods for Removing Mold
Since mold is highly toxic, we recommend using a non-toxic method to safely remove mold as to prevent adding more harmful toxins into the environment. This is especially beneficial if there are vulnerable people living in the home such as elderly, pregnant, children, and even pets. Here are 3 of the best non-toxic methods to clean and prevent mold from growing around your windows. Always wear gloves, safety glasses, and a protective mask to keep the mold off your skin and from entering your lungs. The great thing is, you probably have at least one of these ingredients in your home already! Here it is:
Vinegar is a mild acid which can kill 82% of mold species. Using white distilled vinegar and pour it into an empty spray bottle. It is not necessary to dilute the vinegar with water. Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and allow it to sit for at least one hour. Using a cloth, wipe the area clean of mold using more vinegar spray if needed and allow to dry.
Baking soda is safe to use around children and pets. In addition to being an effective way kill bacteria and mold, it also absorbs moisture very well thus being a good preventative measure you can take to stop the growth of mold from returning. Add one quarter of a tablespoon of baking soda to a spray bottle of water and shake until it has dissolved. Spray the moldy area with the baking soda and water solution, then use a sponge or scrub brush to remove all the mold from the surface. Next, rinse the surface with water to remove any residual mold on the surface. Finally, spray the area again and let the surface dry. (This will kill any left-over mold and prevent the mold from returning).
Hydrogen peroxide is an antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial solution. Pour 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Saturate the moldy surface completely and leave it to sit for ten minutes. Next, scrub the area to remove all of the mold and mold stains. Wipe the surface down to remove residual mold and spores. You’ll want to take extra care if you’re spraying hydrogen peroxide on delicate surfaces, as hydrogen peroxide can act as a bleach. After using any of the 3 methods to completely remove the mold from the window casings, run a fan or blow dryer over the window casing to thoroughly dry the area. After all, it was moisture that brought on the mold to begin with so, you’ll want to ensure this area remains dry. If you used any non-disposable cleaning tools or cloths during the process, disinfect them before using them again.
Tips to preventing the return of mold on windows:
- If you have to run a humidifier in your home during dry winter months, move it away from you windows or try to stop minimize the use of it as it puts moisture into the air.
- During colder months, reduce the amount of house plants. The potting soil is breeding grounds for mold and plants put added moisture in the air.
- Use exhaust fans in rooms with windows and high humidity like bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms.
- Wipe down your windows with a non-abrasive cloth and mild detergent weekl y to ensure dust and other organic materials are left sitting there for mold to grow on.
These simple home remedies will ensure your home windows stay clean and beautiful for years to come. This blog comes to us courtesy of a Residential Windows Company in Toronto called Clera Windows.